Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Favorite Children's Books

We lived in NY for quite awhile and The Met was one of my favorite places to spend a quiet afternoon. I was thrilled when my husband brought Museum ABC home for us to read. We also enjoy Museum Shapes, and look forward to getting Museum 123 and Museum Colors.


_______________________________________

Mo Willems never disappoints us. All of his books are very, very funny and remind us of our own children. That is probably why his books are popular with everyone.




My very favorite is the first Willems' book I ever read to my kids, Knuffle Bunny. We read it after a similar incident when my daughter's special friend, Piggy, got lost at the store. The sequel, Knuffle Bunny Too, is also charming. His next book, Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed, comes out in Jan '09.


_________________________________________

My husband brought Scaredy Squirrel home from school one day awhile back and we became addicted to it. (My husband says it is his favorite children's book ever.) There are two more books so far about Scaredy Squirrel: Scaredy Squirrel Makes A Friend, and Scaredy Squirrel At The Beach. (We have yet to read the beach book, but I'm sure it's just as hilarious.) And another, Scaredy Squirrel At Night that comes out in April '09.


Scaredy Squirrel doesn't like to leave his tree for fear that something awful might happen. Check it out. I think you'll love SS.

______________________________________

I've been reading McCullough's John Adams, and my daughter has been enjoying her own share of patriotism with this book:



This book is a great way to introduce your kids to some of the heroes of American History--even though you won't get a fabulous or completely accurate history lesson. It's entertaining to read over and over. Find it here, of course.

What is your favorite children's book?

7 comments:

  1. I actually adore (and collect) children's literature, so I could go on for hours on this topic! Lane Smith is among my faves, too! Some of my other favorite titles are Blueberries for Sal, Polar Express, Make Way for Ducklings, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I'm going to check out the squirrel book! That looks fabulous! (I don't even have kids! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom just bought Knuffle Bunny for my daughter and she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I don't have children, but I LOVE children's books. One of our favorites is "Alice the Fairy", which pretty much sums up all the little girls we know! Such an adorable book. I also love "You are My I Love You" which is the first book I will by if/when we are able to bring home a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should check out Storybox. They are great for Kids aged 3-6 and have a drawing competition on this month in association with Sesame Street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That museum book looks fantastic! That's going on my Christmas list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all these books. I can't wait for the new Mo Willems book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The unanimous decision in our home is Iggy Peck, Architect. It's my 16-month-old's favorite book, and my husband and I never get sick of reading it. The illustrations are fabulous and fun. Enjoy!

    For sample illustrations:

    http://overcocktails.blogspot.com/2008/09/our-favorite-architect.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...